Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Clifton's

Broadway St. in downtown LA had a surprisingly perky ambience yesterday.


Maybe that's because Michelle and I were feeling perky, or maybe it was the gentleman who stopped to politely compliment our smiles. Other than that, I'm sure the sunshine, palm trees and crocodile cowboy boot-filled shops had absolutely nothing to do with the sheer alegria-ness of the afternoon.

We were in the part of town that has a predominantly Hispanic population. You know, the area where walking past all the garage-shaped vender stalls is an education in Spanish music: one blares Spanish hip-hop, another salsa, and, of course, the ubiquitous reggaeton. Good news for all you students trying to learn Spanish! You don't have to go abroad after all!


Michelle and I were walking back from the historic Biltmore Hotel (where we stalked in authoritatively to use the pretty bathrooms) and we were hungry. Muy, muy hambre.

So like I said before, Broadway St. was feeling perky, especially after we found Cliftons. We stepped seamlessly from our bright skylined world to a haven with a Disneyland themed twist(edness). The indoor landscaping was what got us.

Yes, sir.

I almost expected John Henry to walk out of the dense plastic trees and ivy with his big axe. He didn't, but Michelle and I took precautionary measures and retreated to the upstairs loft. This restaurant was many things, but there are also some things it most definitely was not.


It was: a cafeteria, a place to practice Spanish, floral decorator hell, team man heaven, freakin' hilarious.

It was not: a place to feed the bears (per the sign), and, most importantly, not a place to get enchiladas.

While I proudly label myself as a "Beef, it's what's for Dinner" kind-of-girl, I couldn't appreciate....whatever was in those enchiladas. For all you Pennsylvanians out there, it tasted like someone took scrapple (leftover pieces of animal con hair), put it in a blender and added corn and tortillas.


However, Michelle and I did not let the food dampen our perky mood and enjoyment of Ella Fitzgerald's soft crooning in the great mood lighting. If you're looking for a historic (circa 1930's), woodsy place to test out some award winning cheesecake near the Fashion District, then Clifton's is your place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaa! I appreciate the humor and happiness you bring to everyday life! I am glad I discovered your blogsite.